About Me

My photo
Wie geht's! As a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Berlin Germany mission, I'm bound to have lots of fun experiences!
Keep in touch!

Sister Whitney Olsen
Germany Berlin Mission
Zerbster Strasse 42
12209 Berlin
Germany

You can also use www.DearElder.com if you want to write letters
to me and not worry about stamps. I love to get letters! Read my reference
to this website from my August 15th posting.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Tough week

Hallo Familie!

So this past week was like a blip and hopefully I can think of good things to write or remember. 

For Pday, we only had a 1/2 Pday, because we went to the temple later this week, and so we started working at 4pm, which isn't all that bad, still! I think we really are stealing all your rain, because it's been such a rollar coaster--super wet, then super humid, then wet again, then cold or humid or SOMETHING. This week was also extremely humid, aye aye aye. So on Monday we had a lesson but also tried to contact a referral from a member. She was a bit disappointed that it didn't work out, but I think this friend of hers will come closer to the gospel through her, not us. Iiiiiit's kind of hard to argue with someone who says, "ich kenne schon Jesus"! But later that afternoon we were walking around doing OYMs and it was a break from the rain where I could take down the umbrella and hood. WEeeeeell, all of a sudden I feel something splash on my head and I thought it was rain or whatever, but it was just on ME, and it smelled quite strongly of alcohol. So yeah, someone must've saw us and wanted to show their love--I mean, what kind of German would share his alcohol? :P So imagine that smell plus the usual "wet dog" smell you get when you get caught in the rain. Just another day in the neighborhood, right? I could've been mad but it was like, "whatever, I already look and smell bad!"

This week actually felt like a really heavy backpack and I'm trying to destress because I think I'm carrying it all on my shoulder and neck. But it's been really dry with the apps--we only found one this week, and it was hard to come by. On Tuesday we're just trying to visit a crazy old lady in the ward in her Altesheim and she ALWAYS talks about her no-good, lyin', lazy son of hers and how he owes her money and stuff and the owner-lady actually came up to us, all angry and stuff telling us we shouldn't believe her and that it wasn't even our business anyway and just didn't like the whole situation at all. She left after we just sat there and said nothing (because there was like no space to say anything) and she called as she walked away to the lady, "you can believe anything you want except for that sect-crap!" Sometimes I'm glad I don't understand everything I hear because it made Sis. Schneider and Schw. Richter upset and we tried to find something else to talk about. I had to ask her later what the lady said. But I've noticed that people are being really harsh to us lately and I have no idea why. Usually people look at us and they got those goofy grins like, "woohoo look at the J-Ws" and you think, "we aren't JWs, mensch!" but now they just look at us as if we're smartly-dressed criminals or something. It's sort of discouraging, especially when you don't understand if there's something going on and it's discouraging because I have to keep up the morale for 2 people. 

So if you can imagine it was an imense relief to visit the temple this past week. The Elders were, however, in charge of lunch and we literally had rice and tomato sauce. BARF. What the heck, we're missionaries not college students! So next trip the Sisters will take that on again, so we can eat a real meal. The cool thing about this trip was that we were put in a Hungarian session, so we all had to wear headphones! I was finally ready to do it auf deutsch and then they pull a fast one on me. Hooray for an international temple! It reminded me of Anna in Cottbus and how she's Hungarian and awesome. Sis. Neukomm was actually transferred to Cottbus so she's there taking care of my Golden City. 

AND at the end of the day, I got a birthday package from Aunt Michelle, Grandpa and Shirley! That was a pleasant surprise. They sent a lot of fun food, too, like Jello pudding stuff, cornbread mix (I'm saving that for 4. July!!), mashed potatoes mix, cookie mix, a couple of shirts (which fit, thanks, they are so awesome!)--just a nice white shirt, and then a lacy, see-through tank to wear together, a "forget me not" necklace, and a CD! We've listened to it everyday so far

The latest General Conference talks are amazing. I didn't get to hear every session and reading them is like the best part of my day. 

On Thursday, I think I made Sis. Schneider upset because we spent about 2 hours chumming (putting our cards in Briefkastens) and then dooring, because a member in the ward prayed about a street for us to do work in. So far I'm hoping for miracles, but Sis. Schneider hasn't done doors before, so she already has bad opinions about it, saying that it doesn't work. Granted we had a lady klingel us in so she could yell at us at her doorstep, but I believe that the member felt good about that street and I hope to find out why very soon. 

We got to teach Sabrina,  one of our newer investigators from the Apostolische kirche. It was surprising because we taught her the Plan of Salvation and she already believed in everything besides the 3 kingdoms of glory. But it was a good kind of shock! I guess I don't know much about their religion, but they also have special "sacrament meetings" to do work for the dead, too, only it's just taking the sacrament for someone else. Interesting. 

I'm also pretty sore today still because Carla whipped us into shape this past Friday at Zumba--it's "toning" so it's like doing the moves with light dumbells that are actually more like shakers because when you move them, it's like maracas. Cheezy, I thought, but the only one who's laughing now is Carla! :P

Noreen, one of my favorite people is going on vacation for the next 3 weeks, and so we taught her one last lesson (what a way to end it with a band--Keuchheit!!) before she left. I say "one last" one, because in 2 weeks we'll have transfer calls and we don't know who will stay or who will go. I'm not feelin' nervous yet, so maybe I'll stay just one more transfer, mal sehen!

Tan is doing amazing. He's praying and fasting, and reading his scriptures. He's mainly fasting for his family who is sick right now in Vietnam because it's so hot over there. But he's understanding more from the scriptures and he gets up EARLY so he can study them in Viatnamese and German. It's so funny because he's frustrated sometimes with his German and i said, "dude, you know what "Aufziechnungen" means, you're doing pretty great!" Sometimes he studies the scriptures for 3-5 hours depending on the length of the chapters. Every once in a while we gently prod him to ask if he's still thinking baptism, but he really is, he just has to decide if he is willing to be baptized, since he thinks it could potentially hinder his future. He says in the work force, the Word of Wisdom is a big problem, because when you're trying to impress your boss and he gives you a shot glass, there's no room to turn it down.

If you can imagine, all the flags are GONE. Everyone was nervous but excited the day of the big game, and we could hear the TV from the neighbors upstairs because we both had windows open, but we heard the game going, and then, --blip-- the whole city goes quiet. We heard the TV change channels for like a couple minutes before they just turned it off, and when it's silence, we definitely knew it wasn't good. Even so, we get updates from Stefan. 

We finally met with Bennet after a few weeks of radio silence. He has exams coming up, but he told the bischof (not us) that he doesn't think he needs to meet with us anymore because he's baptized now and stuff. We were at least like, "do you want your baptism pictures or anything?" So we met yesterday at the church to give him some good stuff. It's just weird because most Neubekehrts are still big fans of missionaries and you want to get them integrated into the ward, but he's doing neither. So we at least warned the ward that he's got to hear all the lessons again, and if he won't let us help him, theeey have to help him stay active. Cheeky lil' monkey!

Don't worry about me and the new mission präsident. We're all really excited to meet them, and we get to this week at Zone Conference! It'll be just a bit weird, but when he marries a Cottbuser, he's got to be totally awesome. 

But thanks again for all the updates! I hope Justin and Nicholas will have fun and not get TOO sunburnt (I'm getting a little rosy myself!) and take some pictures! I'm sending Aunt Michelle and Grandpa some letters soon!

Sorry if my email is a bit shorter than usual this week, I'm just feelin' a little exhausted. I'm thinkin a Pday nap is in order. It's a good thing I'm  not doing this work alone, otherwise I think I would've already given up by now.

I love you guys! Enjoy the quiet as much as you can! There's always Link and Mac to listen to as they squabble. :P 

Ich habe euch lieb!
Whit

No comments:

Post a Comment